Join the Movement
It's Time to Focus on ALICE
If you are interested in becoming a larger part of the solution, we invite you to become a Champion for ALICE and join a network of leaders who seek to identify opportunities, reduce barriers and support the upward mobility of working Arkansans.
Do you have an ALICE story to share? We want to hear from you on ALICEvoices.org.
This website is designed for ALICE individuals to share a short 2-minute voice recording about the impossible financial choices they face and how they've been grappling with the impact of inflation. If you know an ALICE individual or family, please share this link to help us build our story bank and amplify ALICE voices across the country.
"*" indicates required fields
How Can My Business Be An Ally for ALICE?
Being an Ally for ALICE means a business is interested in taking action to support ALICE households in Arkansas.
These efforts aren't limited to large entities with ample time and resources. From sharing newsletters to developing an Employee Relief Fund, there's a range of ways your business can become an Ally for ALICE.
Here are a few ideas:
- Share our newsletters with board members and stakeholders to help illustrate how advocating for ALICE benefits individual businesses as well as the state's economic health.
- Offer discounted products and services for ALICE households.
- Make charitable investments in 501c3 organizations that serve ALICE households.
- Consider reimbursements for public transportation or incentivize employee carpooling, since transportation costs and unexpected vehicle repairs can be hurdles for ALICE households.
- Provide childcare reimbursement, allow employees work flexibility, or access to a bank of PTO hours for when their child is sick.
- Support the stability of women by hosting financial literacy seminars or entrepreneurial classes.
- Offer a low or no-interest microloan to qualified ALICE employees.
- If your business pays employees hourly, you can use the United for ALICE Wage Tool to see the minimum wage needed to meet the Household Survival Budget in your county.
- Healthcare is a major impact on ALICE households. Offering health insurance that minimizes the cost of prescriptions, providing PTO for preventative visits to the doctor, and flexible work schedules can reduce the strain of health problems and prevent larger crises down the road.
- Develop an Employee Relief Fund to “help employees cope with unexpected hardships that place undue financial stress on them and their families.” Your business can implement one internally or with assistance from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
Interested in doing more?
Businesses that are ALICE Champions serve as ambassadors for the campaign and showcase their support of the movement through events and media appearances. Fill out the form at the top of the page and we'll explore what works best for your organization.
How Can I Become an Ally for ALICE?
An individual who is an Ally for ALICE is anyone who is willing to take action to address the struggles of ALICE households.
You're not required to be a policymaker, business owner, grassroots organizer, or full-time philanthropist to make a difference. Whether you're able to spend a few minutes forwarding an email or invest a few hours in hosting an event, you can be part of a movement dedicated to improving the lives of working Arkansans.
Here are a few ways you can help:
- Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about policies and issues impacting ALICE households
- Educate your friends, family, and community about the gap between the Federal Poverty Line and Sustainable Household Budget, as well as what it means to be ALICE.
- Join the conversation on social media using #StandUpforALICE and #EquityInAR.
- Share your story of living in an ALICE household. Many individuals may feel shy about sharing this information, but authentic and candid stories help shed a light on the reality ALICE households face.
- Support charitable organizations that serve ALICE households
- Encourage your place of worship to explore ways of supporting ALICE families through services like low or zero-cost childcare.
- Stay informed on policies impacting ALICE households on the local, county, and state level.
- Educate and encourage your elected officials to support policies that benefit ALICE households or reconsider policies that may intensify the problem
- Hold a Salon Dinner at your home and make ALICE the subject of the evening's conversation.
- Invite an ALICE Champion to speak at your business, civic organization, or place of worship.
Interested in doing more?
Individuals that are ALICE Champions serve as ambassadors for the campaign and showcase their support of the movement through events and media appearances. Fill out the form at the top of the page and we'll find a way to utilize your passion and talent!